The application environment
Iris scanning is a biometric recognition and identification method. Via video images of the unique iris pattern the application is able to recognise an individual. It is applied for access control, border crossings etc. The technology is often based on near infrared wavelengths. Therefore, a NIR filter is used.
Typical filter requirements
- High NIR transmittance and block of visible light
- Anti-reflection (AR) coating
- Optimised anti-reflection (AR) coating
- Cleaning resistance
- Scratch and impact resistance
- Black panel effect as design feature and in order to anonymize the optics behind the cover lens.
PSC products and solutions
PSC manufactures NIR acrylic filters. These filter solutions we call Solaris™ IR S306. Our casted black or very dark red acrylic (or our polycarbonate) filters combined with anti-reflection (AR) or optimised AR surface treatments result in excellent filter solutions for iris recognition applications. With the optimised AR surface treatment it is possible to obtain extra high scanning performance, with improved precision and faster recognitions. Furthermore, our innovative Easy-Pick™ solution provides maximum cost efficiency at our customers' assembly line.